Wednesday, January 24, 2007

its been one of those kinds of days and I feel so out of place and I hate everything, everything, I hate everything, but you.

Today is worthy of a song to describe it. Let me sketch out for you the harrowing events of the day. No single occurrence is really that bad, but each one, in combination with my already crazed state of mind, has just about pushed me over the edge.

6.30: drive to pick up my work out buddy.
6.40: Arrive at gym, lock keys in car (I am without credit cards or check book; I locked my keys in the car a week and a half ago, that time because I had three bags and a cello I was hauling and the keys did not make it out. This time, as I was swinging the already locked car door shut, my mittened hand looses its grip on the key and I essentially throw it into the car just as the door slams. brilliant.)
6.45: I begin walking home, in -10 degree weather, in my unlined workout pants, in order to get my checkbook and call the all too familiar locksmith.
7.20: I get home, have lost all feeling in legs.
7.25: call locksmith, who is rude because I do not know the name of the street I am parked on, I quote "You dumb kids are all the same" Thanks. I know.
7.30:Carman, best house mate ever, drives me back to gym.
7.32: Carman's car stalls, because it is so cold.
7.33: Carman's car starts again.
7.45: waiting by my car until 8, when it is 15 dollars cheaper to get car unlocked. Call mom for comfort. Phone dies.
8.00: car is opened, PTL. I pay 30 dollars which I can't afford to pay.
8.10: I am home, climb in bed to get warm.
Nothing exceptional happens for the next four hours, I bake a cake, I make scones, I read, I meet a friend for coffee. The day begins to look up.
1.00: at work.
2.00: Make a flier for Josephine.
2.30: Begin dinner, am excited about menu, bean and corn salad, Jambalaya, and biscuits.
3.00: Make bean salad wrong, forget to cook beans. Debate whether Rachel and I should pick all the corn out of uncooked beans, toss it, or start over. Decide to cook whole darn thing.
3.15: discover indecent pictures of someone we know in a bedroom.
3.30: Jambalaya already starting to burn.
3.45: Creepy guys, must avoid.
4.00: Make biscuits.
4.30: Jambalaya, still burning, rice not cooking, I transfer to a new, hopefully better, pot. Beans suspicious.
5.30: Kitchen filled with smoke, Jambalaya completely burned. Rice still not cooked. Beans, interesting and incredibly spicy since they have been brewing the past two hours in a mixture of corn, onions, and jalapenos.
6.00: serve dinner, cringe as I watch people try to eat it. only biscuits turned out.
6.15: non-shelter affiliated volunteer shuts locked office door with keys inside.
6.30: dish washer flaked out on the job, I have to wash dishes as all my coworkers leave.
6.35: as I am running around, someone (a local really annoying person) asks for a can of beef stew. I look in pantry. we have none. I tell her. She asks me to look for something with beef in it. I go look again. She rejects two choices and finally settles on beef barley stew. Do I have time for this, no.
6.45: office unlocked after calling in back up.
7.00-7.30: running around doing night duties that I am behind on. Everyone wants a bottom bunk, there are none left, everyone grumpy, including me.
7.45: Way too happy church group is here leading Bible study, I pray they are not proselytizing. I think they are playing big bootie right now.
8.00: finally sitting, writing this, in an attempt to debrief, and frankly, because it feels good to complain.

I have no patience left to spare. I just want to go home. My bedroom is currently all boxes, we move Friday, I just want to go sit in bed until Monday and it is all over. As it is, I have to haul my cello over to someones house after I am off work at nine. Great. And I hate when cooking goes wrong, it is usually the only thing I can depend on doing right. I need a hug.

1 comment:

Amy said...

*hug*
too bad we played phone tag. you could have ranted some more at a real person :)
have a better day tomorrow!