Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Amy is coming and I am incredibly excited!

I do funny things. Sometimes I step back from the situations I get myself into and think, wow, this is truly odd.

Example, my boss asked me last week if I wanted to stay in his house while he is in Mexico.
Christa:Sure, no problem.
Boss: Oh, and Christa, Sue (his cook/friend/lady that lives with him and his wife) may or may not be there. Oh, and Christa, you made her mad last time. Hmmm, what was it that you did to make her mad, don't do it again.
Christa:Urp, um, okay. What! (cue insecurity and automatic self-doubt) I made her mad? What did I do? Oh no! (analyze every word and action displayed while with Sue for the four days before I go to stay at house)

Last night after work:

I spent a lot of time stalling before I head to Boss' house. I think Sue will be there and I don't want to 1. upset her 2. scare her 3. become even more uncomfortable than I am now. (I must say here that Sue is a marvelous, wonderful person who I like a lot but don't understand- major cultural differences and language create barriers for me to hide behind) Marcy and Andrea offer up pointers, such as ring the doorbell, so you don't scare her and hypothesize various awkward situations (last time Marcy was alone with Sue, Sue sat and rubbed her feet for an hour. Nice, but also kind of strange). Marcy also points out the irony that Boss meant to ask me to his house to help me be less stressed but in the end is creating more stress and I am now doing yet another thing for the sake of other people that I don't really want to do. Awesome.

So I arrive at Boss House and, in the pouring rain, go to the front door with my bag and ring the doorbell. Twice. No answer and the house is dark. Options: Sue is already in bed at 8:30 pm (not unlikely), Sue did end up leaving town, or Sue is trying to tell me to get lost. I take a phone poll and the unanimous decision is for me to let myself in through the garage door. (I could have let myself in all along but didn't want to presume or scare Sue). Once inside, I hear the TV on, the dishwasher and washing machine running yet no sign of Sue. There is a bucket of water by the couch, presumably for soaking feet while watching trash TV, but no Sue. I call out and do a quick sweep of the house, but no Sue. I am now convinced (cue thunder and lightning- I am suddenly in some sort of Ms. Marple Mystery) Sue is going to pop out at me any minute. I give up my search and tiptoe upstairs to get ready for bed. At every noise I jump, sure that Sue is going to appear and yell at me for my unknown crimes.

The story resolves itself very anticlimactically- Sue was out to dinner with friends and returned at 10 or so, after I was already in bed. I suspect a repeat of these events this evening.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I like the new look. It's a lot to take in, but it's very you. I'll be in your house this time next week!!

Christa said...

Are you saying I'm a lot to take in? ;)