I love all things Jane Austen. I confess my unabashed, undying love for all of her works of literature and all the authors who try to copy her and those who re-write and rip off her works from Clueless to that lame Jane Austen Mystery Series (I really don't love all these things, the lame rip-off books are slightly questionable- anyone that takes the characters of Jane Austen and re-writes them into trashy (and I mean TRASHY) romance novels should be severely punished). I feel like at times I deny this love to save face...to deny that I am one of those girls who read Pride and Prejudice over and over again and dispute the accuracy of various film versions of the book. This past year I re-read P&P determined not to like it, but to no avail. I still love it. I will always love it. I am that girl.
This is all leading up to the fact that I have discovered some new Austen-ite things to love: a book call "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies." Haven't read it yet but its some sort of amalgam of Austen's text and a new zombie plot line. Incredible. I also recently purchased a British mini series called "Lost in Austen" A basic plot line: Elizabeth Bennett intrudes on Modern-Day British Girl's life (Amanda Price), inadvertently causing Amanda to go back in time and Elizabeth to stay in the present. Amanda, who is obsessed with P&P, is at first delighted and then freaked out as the entire story as we know it disintegrates (Jane marries Mr. Collins!!AHHHHH!) but it all ends well and is highly entertaining. My favorite part is when Darcy confesses his love of Amanda (much to her dismay, she keeps insisting he should love Elizabeth) she asks him to do one thing. Next shot, Darcy emerging from the lake, white shirt clinging to his torso a la Colin Firth's famous swimming scene in the BBC version of P&P. Every girl's Pride and Prejudice Fantasy-love it.
This has been another week where it feels like despite every effort I make, things are just not coming together (for example, I accidentally gave the car repair people my debit card account number rather than my credit card number, thus wiping out the entire contents of my checking account and incurring an overdraft fee. Awesome.) My conclusion- I am not in control. And my little failures (and big ones) in no way effect my overall worth (though Calamity has proved to be an apt nickname of late).
BIG SIGH. I am going to read Pride and Prejudice until I feel better.
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am THAT girl, as well!!! Every gal has a Mr. Darcy....don't forget that ;-)
Post a Comment