Wednesday, October 26, 2005

My job is sweet. I go to work, clock in and then focus on one task, putting books on shelves. It may sound boring, but I like reading all the book titles and thinking about the people who wrote the books. I like seeing how many books they have written as I put it on the shelf, is this their first or their 34th? If they have written lots of books, why? Are they a series or did they just corner a certain reading population that cannot do without their novels. Because really, how many obscure sci-fi series are there, or how many really cheesy romance novels are there? And why do people read these books? To become well-read? Entertainment? Escape? I also like to think about who will get the particular book I am shelving, or how many people have picked up this book and put it back down again. So thats what I do for eight hours, talk to people about good books, shelve good books, and think about good books. well, some bad books too.

One more thought about books. Oprah's newest book club selection "a million little pieces" cannot be found anywhere--we have gone through two huge orders in our store and now the distributor does not have any more left! they are flying off the shelves. Now, when oprah recommends a normal, average girly book, they are in demand, but not crazy hard to find. But not only is this book a book club selection, it is actually really good. (I read it, and though I am anti-Oprah book club bandwagonite, it really was very good). All this to say I marvel at the power of amazing advertising and good literature. And the fact that this book was published two years ago! How many other incredible books are out there and no one knows about them? I am going to hunt them all down ;)

I also really want to write a book. I will, I think. The kids I am currently babysitting, Haywood, Hallsey, and Hamilton, they are obsessed with the stories I tell them and who could be a better judge of literary and creative genius than little children with strange names. Hamilton is also the name of my stuffed corduroy alligator, not to be confused with Giles the corduroy elephant.

I can be quite verbose, but writing really is soothing. I am going to think of something really exciting to do to make tomorrow different. I'll get back to you when I figure out what that exciting thing is.

No comments: