I have been listening to the book 'Sister Carrie' on tape for the past two weeks. It is a very long book and I won't bore you with the details of the plot, only to say that I am hooked enough on the story that I am going to finish wading through all twelve casettes. The reader is a woman whose voice I find kind of annoying, especially when she tries to do men's voices, I can't say what bothers me, but something does. The tapes are really old some parts of the recording are damaged, but I think the damaged portions are my favorite. One minute the heroine is arguing with her lover when suddenly they are underwater! After a few minutes the waters will subside, only to suddenly engulf them when they are parting in anger! What an unexpected plot twist! Then, in casette seven, there is an echo and each line is repeated by a chorus of ghosts, mimicking the reader's voice. It is so eerie and I completely loose interest in the story, turning up the volume so I can hear the secret message the ghosts are trying to relate through the speakers. In the pause between each sentence you can hear warped fragments of what had just been said and I get goosebumps every time. I wonder what casette eight will bring!
No comments:
Post a Comment