Friday, June 09, 2006

Oh my friends, I am sorry for the long delay in postings, but my computer is fickle and I am dispised (or I dispise) chezch keyboards, it seems that they will not allow me to sign in any of my passwords (or my one password I use for everything) to get to my e-mail and blog. so. here i am. but i have made a list of things to talk about. so i begin. 1. In Prague one must remove your shoes once entering someone's home. Generally people have their indoor shoes and their outdoor shoes, because everyone walks everywhere and the streets are really dirty (dust, dirt, lots of dogs and no pooper scoopers) so it is polite to take off your shoes before entering. Its fun. 2. In Prague it is appropriate to eat ice cream any time of the day. Children will be walking down the street at 8 am, with their mothers, eating a cone. I ordered waffles for breakfast and they had a scoop of ice cream on top. I knew I loved this country. Ice cream anytime. 3. Our grocery shopping/ cooking experience in Prague has been very interesting. Prague is the mecca of yogurt but that is one of the only things we know that we can buy without getting any strange surprises. no, we are doing pretty good, but I must say the first meal we cooked ourselves was eggs, broccoli, and bread with nutella. for dinner. (On that note, thankyou Shanna for the leftover lasagna which sustained us this evening). Again, yay ice cream! 4. The metro system here is pretty easy, I think we have it pretty much mastered. To get to the metro one must travel down an escelator (sp) that is much like a windtunnel, alarmingly fast and steep and windy. Apparently the metros require these crazy escelators (sp) because the metro stops also doubled as bomb shelters when built. huh. note: beware of skirts in the wind tunnel. 5.We went to the communist museum the other day and it was so interesting to learn more of the history of this area. I learned so much and my favorite part was the footage of the riots and velvet revolution that led to the overthrow of communism here in 1989. It is so amazing that these events were so recent and still such a part of the lives of people here. and it explains much of the society, like the complete lack of any worthwhile Czech pop/rock music, because it was all banned during the communist era! (some underground bands exsisted, most well known the Plastic People of the Universe, which, from the clip, were not of high musical caliber, besides the fast they were mutilating a cello. so not cool.) 6. Apparently everyone in Prague has sword. We have seen numerous people (well, three, but we are keeping a running count and other people have their own sword accounts as well) carrying sword under their jackets on the metro or strapped on their back on the tram. i am looking for my own, so I can truly adapt to this culture. enough said. 7.I really wish I had brought my cello. 8. One day we went to the Louvre Cafe, we had hot chocolate, which is melted chocolate bar in a cup and after out yummy treat we were taking a picture of the outside of the building. A gentleman came up to me, asked me if I was American. "Um, Yes" I said, thinking oh gosh is it that obvious (its not because today someone asked me for directions in Czech, mistaking me for a native, haha!) and then he asked if I could kick. "Um, kick?" "yes, kick," he replied. "um, yes" He continued, "I will give you 100 crowns (four dollars ish) if you kick my hand" "what?" "100 crowns if you kick my hand!" I said no confusedly, and he walked away sheepishly, but I have no idea what his motives could have possibly been. i have no idea. 9. Today the three of us girls went our seperate ways for some alone time and personal exploring time. I found my new favority cafe, Kafico (sp) where I read and had tea and honey cake. it was marvelous. 10. Last night the girls and I shared our life stories with Laura and Chris and it was great because I had not even heard the testimonies of Lauren and Becca. It was wonderful to hear how God had worked in their lives and how we were all coming from hard places, how God was changing us and using us in our imperfect, broken states. His grace is so big. 11. I am doing okay, though am a little restless today, having to adjust to the slow pace of the city. I am also beginning to miss talking to my family and friends. I was walking around by myself and just thinking about what I would say to each of you. But I definately feel I am supposed to be here and cannot wait to see what each day brings. the end for now.

2 comments:

Amy said...

That long and fun entry totally makes up for the lack of previous blogs. I came today thinking, oh she probably hasnt' written and I got a treat!!! Love you and miss you

Megan said...

i miss you! it's so good to read about what's going on in your life. I (with my obsession with eastern europe and the transition from communism) am so jealous of you! i love you! i love you! i love you!